Saturday 11 March 2017

Maria and the Pocket

Welcome to the shadowy and not-so-shadowy space behind Sally's books. If you're not familiar with this blog, scroll down to see what it's all about.

Maria and the Pocket (Post 70)

Maria and the Pocket (1987), is a reading scheme title written for the educational market, with coloured pictures throughout. I love the pictures, which are vibrantly coloured and realistic in style. 

Maria, who is of Greek heritage (although that is never explicitly stated) is to be bridesmaid at her cousin's wedding. Maria, an active and curious child, is unimpressed by the pink frilly dress she is to wear, so her cousin asks what she would like changed. Maria says she wants a pocket, so she is given a drawstring pocket to tie around her waist. Throughout the wedding day, Maria collects items and stores them in her pocket, rather to the shocked amusement of those who notice. Then a sartorial disaster occurs and Maria is able to save the day.

The story is fiction but I was a flower girl at a cousin's wedding when I was little and I too loved clothes with big functionaly pockets. I too used to collect interesting bits and pieces and stash them in my pockets... in fact, I still do! This book is so delightfully illustrated it remains a favourite of mine thirty years after I wrote it. As for a family connection; Maria is my daughter's second name.


About the Blog 
Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. This preamble will be pasted to the top of each post, so feel free to skip it in future.




The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading