Friday 24 March 2017

Sallyo's Kitchen

Welcome to Sally's book-a-day-for-2017 blog. If unfamiliar with the blog, scroll down.

Sallyo's Kitchen (Post 83)

Sallyo's Kitchen (200?) is an oddity, even for me. For one thing, I'm unsure of the date. The only thing I can state with certainty is that it can't be earlier than 2007, because the photograph on the cover was taken when I went to a 2007 publishing Christmas party. An obliging guest at the motel I was staying at took the photo, and I recall keeping my stick-on name tag stuck to the velour dress was impossible.

So, what is the book? I originally amassed some of the material for an in-family joke gift called The Slut's Companion. I should add I was using the word in the older sense... that of a poor housekeeper. Over years of lackadaisical housekeeping I've discovered a few sidesteps and shortcuts that have served me well ever since. The rest of the material, which became the bulk of the book, is my own recipes. 

At some point, I was invited to join a group of other writers who were producing free e-cookbooks as giveaways. I believe the organiser said this was an excellent way of advertising our commercial books, whether trad or e-pub. We were told these freebies typically got heaps of downloads. I already had the material, so I put this together quite quickly. I forget how many downloads it scored. Was it 2? 1? None? Anyway, I chalked it up to just another of those too-good-to-be-true ideas at the best and downright scams at the worst. If it was a scam though, I have no idea how anyone would benefit, as I seem to remember it was free all down the line. Anyway, I had some fun putting it together and I honestly have no recollection of who else was involved. I seriously doubt if any of us got any useful advertising out of it. Pity. It sounds as if it should have worked. It's possible I have the source file lurking in my hard drive so if anyone wants a freebie PDF let me know and I'll go hunting for it.

About the Blog 
Sally is Sally Odgers; author, manuscript assessor, editor, anthologist and reader. She runs http://www.affordablemanuscriptassessments.com and Prints Charming Books. (Sally is me, by the way, and I am lots of other things too, but these are the relevant ones for now.)

The goal for 2017 is to write a post a day profiling the background behind one of my books; how it came to be written, what it's about, and any things of note that happened along the way. If you're an author, an aspiring author, a reader or just someone who enjoys windows into worlds, you might find this fun. The books are not in any special order, but will be assigned approximate dates, and pictures, where they exist. If you enjoyed a post, or want to ask about any of my books or my manuscript assessment service, post a comment and I'll get back to you.

2 comments:

  1. This seems like a good idea, despite you not getting many downloads. Is it still available for download? :)

    Also, are your books available to purchase digitally? I'd love to read some of your work.

    Sally L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sally;

    I have no idea if it's available still, but I think I have the PDF somewhere in my computer. As for digital... yes, quite a lot of my books are available. iTunes have some, and so has Amazon. Just make sure you look for books of which I am the AUTHOR. For some odd reason a lot of books I edited for a couple of publishing companies have my name associated with them on line.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading